Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Be Still and Know

It seems that we are in another lesson about learning to Be Still. This is a lesson that the Lord has brought us to and thru that past year, but we are learning it again. 

So it brought me to look at the idea of stillness. 

Noun1.stillness - (poetic) tranquil silence; "the still of the night"
silencequiet - the absence of sound; "he needed silence in order to sleep"; "the street was quiet"
poesypoetryverse - literature in metrical form
2.stillness - calmness without winds
calmness - an absence of strong winds or rain
3.stillness - a state of no motion or movement; "the utter motionlessness of a marble statue"
state - the way something is with respect to its main attributes; "the current state of knowledge"; "his state of health"; "in a weak financial state"
fixednessimmobilitystationariness - remaining in place



This definition is from the free online dictionary. Do any of the above stand out to you? Hush, still, silence are all ones that stand out to me. 
The question I raise is how often do I crave the stillness, the silence or being hushed. Is being hushed a good thing? I often think of someone hushing me as a bad thing. To me it smacks at my pride of them not wanting to hear what I have to say. 
Is being still possible in this day and age? A time where everything is go go go, and we move from one thing to the next. A time where distractions abound to take our focus off the very thing that Lord is calling us to; stillness. 

Or, is stillness not thinking, not working tirelessly to figure out what in the world is the Lord doing? 
I think to, does being still make me uncomfortable? and if it does, why?

Often times in the stillness, we get uncomfortable because we are suddenly faced with who God is and who we are, and who we are not. We see that God is in COMPLETE control, and we are not. 
Does that make you uncomfortable? Does being still mean we sit on the couch and zone out? 
Does it mean the Lord is just saying, Calm child, I got this. 
NO WORRIES. 


That is another post about worrying and the lessons I am learning. 

No comments: